Heavy smoke and flames were coming from the home when firefighters arrived on the scene.
Chesapeake Fire Department officials say it was an accidental fire caused by a technician working on an HVAC unit at the business.
Firefighters say the fire appeared to be caused by the homeowner’s attempt to thaw frozen pipes with a heat gun.
Firefighters say the cause of the fire was careless cooking.
First responders pulled the woman out the surf and performed CPR, but she was later pronounced dead.
Cars stuck in snow and ice and people shoveling were common sights throughout the area, including Portsmouth.
The home, which was over 100 years old, was completely destroyed, as well as two vehicles that were parked in front of the home.
Troopers say the car was traveling too fast for the road conditions on General Puller Highway.
Firefighters say the fire was in the attic and second story of the home.
The dog, named Atlas, is expected to make a full recovery.
Virginia Beach and Oceana firefighters responded to a house fire on Little Island Road Friday night.
Legendary astronaut John Young, who walked on the moon and later commanded the first space shuttle flight, has died, NASA said Saturday.
Police are investigating following a robbery at a 7-Eleven in the 13400 block of Jefferson Avenue early Saturday.
“It’s some of the worst stuff in the world to use on a driveway.”
“We know that it can be contaminated with a whole host of things.”