Internships provide individuals with practical experiences in a career setting. These experiences often allow them to apply their formal course work to day-to-day operations of communication-related jobs. All internships must be used in conjunction with college credit and are unpaid.
Individuals applying for an internship must be an upcoming college Junior or Senior to be eligible.
Individuals planning for an internship must remember that WAVY/WVBT invests time and effort guiding and training interns. Services of value are expected in return. The internship is a reciprocal arrangement. Individuals exchange their efforts in return for on-the-job-type training and work-type experience.
There are a limited amount of summer internships available that are paid by the Virginia Association of Broadcasters. Applications are available October through January and can be obtained from the VAB at http://www.vabonline.com or by calling 434-977-3716.
Obtaining a WAVY-TV & Fox43 Internship:
In general, individuals apply for an internship in the way they would apply for a job. An Internship Application and/or resume and cover letter is required. The applicant should expect to interview with various department managers to determine appropriate fit and/or potential for the internship.
When applying for an internship, please complete the Internship Application and send with a cover letter and resume to:
300 Wavy Street
Portsmouth, VA 23704
Prerequisites for participation in WAVY/WVBT’s internship program are:
- An intern should be enrolled in a college or similar curriculum in which the internship experience relates to or enhances their curriculum. College credit must be provided for the internship.
- Individuals applying for an internship must be an upcoming college Junior or Senior to be eligible.
- The intern must provide the necessary paperwork from their academic supervisor before beginning their internship.
- Individuals interested in internships will be interviewed by appropriate WAVY-TV personnel to assess their qualifications.
- Interns will not receive any type of compensation for participation in the program unless chosen for the Virginia Association of Broadcasters Summer Internship Program. This compensation is provided by the VAB.