Residents displaced after house fire near NSU

WAVY Photo

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — A house near Norfolk State University was damaged early monday morning after it caught fire.

Firefighters were called to the house on Norchester Avenue just after 3 a.m., according to dispatch.

Officials with Norfolk Fire-Rescue say several fire crews, chiefs and investigators responded to the scene — along with EMS.

Officials say crews foreced their way into the house and found heavy fire on the secodn floor. It took firefighters nearly an hour to get it under control.

It is unclear how many people live in the home, but officials say the Red Cross was called to assist. No one was hurt in the fire.

Norfolk officials say there has been an increase in the amount of fires over the last several weeks. A statement about this uptick in fires was issued on Monday:

Norfolk Fire Rescue has seen an increase in the amount of fires over the last few weeks. Although we generally do have more fires in the colder months, there has not been a general cause. Recent fires have been related to unattended cooking sources, space heaters, electrical cords, unattended smoking materials as well as unattended candles. The colder temperatures and the snow and ice are however are a consistent problem for our responses to and from emergencies as well as on fire scenes with frozen hose lines and trip and fall hazards due to ice accumulation.

The main focus is to just think safety first. Try to be extra cautious around the house. If you do utilize space heaters. Make sure you follow all of the manufactures recommendation for use. Additionally, this is a great time to ensure that your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors are working properly.

Stay with WAVY.com for the latest developments.