Woman dies in Virginia Beach house fire

A photo of Sandra Daniels, courtesy of her family.

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — A woman has died from her injuries after being pulled from a burning home in Virginia Beach on Wednesday afternoon.

According to fire officials, calls came in for the fire at 1:44 p.m. They arrived on scene at Allman Court within five minutes.

A photo of Sandra Daniels, courtesy of her family.

Firefighters found a woman inside the home, and resuscitated her on the front lawn before taking her to the hospital with life-threatening injuries. She was later pronounced dead.

Family members say the victim was 70-year-old Sandra “Bunny Leigh” Daniels.

Neighbors were shocked to see her home go up in flames.

“Disappointed, upset. It’s very sad. I had no idea she was in there. It was so quick,” said Jesse Labelle, who lives on the street.

Labell was home at the time when he saw smoke and flames.

He says he ran to warn another neighbor about the fire next door and would have helped Daniels, if he knew she was home.

“I wish I would’ve known she was there. I could’ve tried to help at least. She was a great person,” he said.

Daniels’ family says she used a walker to get around and that may have prevented her from escaping the home in time.

Firefighters say they found her in the bedroom area, where the fire started. The cause of the fire has been ruled as accidental.

Officials say a number of things could have contributed to fires like this during the winter months.

“A lot of transition occurring right now. One, we have heat coming on. We have people burning in fireplaces, burning furnaces. We have Christmas trees. We have lights. We have a lot for the holiday season,” said Michael Barakey, who is the district chief for the Virginia Beach Fire Department.

It’s a holiday season in which loved ones will now miss the presence of a wife, mother, grandmother, neighbor, and friend.

Those living nearby say they’ll step up to do what they can to help Daniels’ family get through this tragic time.

“We all offered a place for the husband to stay. We just want him to be comfortable and OK,” Labell said.