Suspect in officer-involved shooting connected to abduction, robbery in Newport News

HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) — Police have released more information about what happened days before an officer-involved shooting in Hampton.

Police have connected one of the four suspects in the case to an abduction and robbery in Newport News.

Darone Owens, 18, is now facing a long list of charges connected to the robbery, which happened five days earlier.

Related: 4 charged in connection to officer-involved shooting in Hampton

On Oct. 12, Newport News police were called to an apartment complex on Dusk Court, near J. Clyde Morris Boulevard.

According to police, Owens and another suspect attacked two men on the second floor of a building.

“He got pistol whipped pretty much,” said Juan Justiniano, who says his friend is one of the victims.

Police say one of the suspects blindfolded a man and forced him into a car. The second victim tried to call 911, and that’s when police say Owens started shooting. No one was hurt.

Owens was already in jail in Hampton on charges related to the officer-involved shooting.

“It’s hard to feel bad for someone who keeps repeatedly doing the wrong thing over and over,” said Justiniano.

On Oct. 17, police spotted a stolen truck and followed it to a 7-Eleven on Kecoughtan Road. Officers tried to approach the people inside the truck, when someone pointed a gun at them and the driver hit the unmarked police vehicle.

The officers fired shots in the process, hitting three people inside the truck. Police say 24-year-old DeAndre Bethea died at the hospital.

Four people have been charged in this incident — two juveniles, Owens and 20-year-old Leroy Clyburn III.

Related: Suspects in officer-involved shooting appear in court

All four are facing charges of possession of a firearm and grand larceny. Owens, Clyburn and one of the juveniles are convicted felons.

Both officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave, pending the outcome of investigations.