NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — Newport News fire crews responded to a house fire in the 1100 block of 33rd Street Monday morning.
Fire officials arrived on scene around 8:25 a.m. to find heavy smoke and heat coming out of a window of a two-story home. The heat and fire damaged two other homes in the vicinity of the fire.
Fire officials have determined the fire started in a bedroom by a space heater that was operating too close to combustibles.
The Red Cross has been contacted to assist six people who were displaced. No one was hurt.