Firefighter suffers heat-related illness battling Chesapeake house fire

Photo: Chesapeake Fire Department

CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) — One adult and one child were displaced after their Hickory home caught fire Friday afternoon.

Firefighters were called to the 1100 block of Sanderson Road at 2:37 p.m. They got on scene 20 minutes later and found a small, two-story home up in flames.

Crews called a second alarm for the fire due to the heat. The home is located in an area of the city that doesn’t have a city water system. The additional engines that were called to the scene for the second alarm were used to shuttle water to the scene. Tanker trucks from the Virginia Beach and Currituck County fire departments also helped to deliver water to the scene.

Firefighters battled both the flames and the summer heat to extinguish the blaze. No one was hurt, but one firefighter did suffer a heat-related illness and was taken to the hospital.

The home is a total loss. The residents have made temporary living arrangements. Fire officials say heavy equipment was brought in to begin removing debris so crews can extinguish any hidden fires.

Stay with WAVY.com for updates on this developing story.