2 firefighters suffer heat-related illness battling Chesapeake fire

Photo courtesy Chesapeake Fire Department

CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) — One person was displaced by a house fire Saturday evening in Chesapeake.

Firefighters were called to the 2400 block of Shillelagh Road at 4:01 p.m. Crews got to the scene eight minutes later to find heavy fire and smoke coming from a small, one-story home.

The blaze has compromised the home’s structural stability, forcing crews to work defensively. A task force of fire engines have to bring water to the scene because the home is in an area that’s not supplied by a city water system.

The fire was marked under control at 6:58 p.m.

Fire Captain Scott Clifford said two firefighters suffered from heat-related illness. One of them was taken to the hospital, while the second was treated at the scene.

Clifford says the home suffered heavy fire damage, displacing one adult and their cat. The resident has made other housing arrangements.

Neighbors who watched firefighters battle the flames for hours say they ran to help when they saw smoke.

“I heard snap, crackle, pop and I looked over here to the next door neighbors and seen the white smoke,” said Kenneth Poulter, who lives next door.

Sisters Lilly and Abby Brooks were outside walking their aunt’s dog when they noticed something wrong.

“Abby was like, ‘Bring the dog inside now!’ I said, ‘Why?’ She told me to look and I saw a lot of smoke,” Lilly said.

The sisters, who are 10 and seven years old, ran inside to tell their aunt. They say she called 911.

Both neighbors  say they’re grateful the homeowner is okay and that he had lived in the home for 20 years.

“Thank God he’s alright. He’s well taken care of. He’s to himself. He doesn’t bother anybody. Takes care of his cats and the nature he lives in,” Poulter said.