VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — A man was displaced after a late night fire caused extensive damage to a Virginia Beach home.
Investigators say crews were called to the home on Martha Court, in the Red Mill area of the city, around 11:45 p.m.
The home sustained heavy smoke and water damage, mostly at the back of the building, according to investigators.
Investigators have ruled the fire was accidental and caused by unattended smoking materials.
The 24-year-old man lives at the home with his mother — who he says was on vacation in Texas at the time.
He told 10 On Your Side he had been smoking a cigarette on the back deck Sunday night, and thought he put it out in the ash tray.
The man says he heard crackling noises later that night, and saw the flames when he went to the back door.
No one was hurt in the fire. The man was able to get out of the home safely with two pets.
The man says he plans to return to the house and salvage anything he can.