Family feels closer to justice after second suspect arrested in 2014 Hampton homicide

Larry Devon Scott (Photo: Cumberland Detention Center)

HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) — A fugitive on-the-run for nearly three years after a Hampton man’s homicide was arrested in North Carolina on Monday.

“We’ve been waiting on this moment for a very long time now,” said Chaunaza Woods, the victim’s sister.

Tyquan Woods, 21, was killed in a double shooting in July 2014. His body was discovered on North Back River Road. Another man was also shot but survived.

Within days, police identified two suspects: Calvin Schofield, then 22, was arrested, but Larry Scott, then 25, went on the run.

“There have been times where my faith was tested and I doubted they were gonna find him,” said Stephanie Woods, the victim’s mother.

But on Monday, a Hampton homicide detective gave her a call she’ll never forget. Woods, now 28-years-old, had been arrested.

“I couldn’t believe it,” she said. “I started screaming and hollering and crying. I didn’t know what to do.”

According to police, officers in Fayetteville, North Carolina, received word Saturday that Scott had been living in their region. He was arrested at a home on Monday. Police said he was armed at the time, but surrendered his gun.

“I highly thank those who captured him and commend them for a job well done,” the victim’s grandmother said in a statement.

For the Woods, it’s a big step towards justice. But family members said they won’t fully have closure until learning the outcome in court. In the meantime, they continue to mourn.

“We’re never gonna have him. That’s gonna be an empty spot in our heart forever, but we’ll have to learn to live without him being here,” Stephanie said. “And just be grateful that the guys who did this to him are gonna be able to get sentenced and they’re gonna have to pay for what they did.”

Family members told 10 On Your Side that the shooting motive involved a dispute over a female.

“Nobody really knew anything about [Scott] until this happened,” Chaunaza said. “So it’s kind of crazy… I just feel like my brother got killed for no reason. He didn’t deserve that.”

Police said Scott was also wanted for assaulting a police officer on Feb. 18, 2015. He is currently at a jail in Fayetteville, charged with murder, aggravated maiming, shooting into an occupied dwelling, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, use of a firearm in commission of a felony and assault on a law enforcement officer.