TOANO, Va. (WAVY) — A gas leak in the area of the Toano Post Office Thursday morning caused a closure on Richmond Road, James City County officials say.
Around 9:25 a.m., dispatchers got a call about a possible natural gas leak in the 7800 block of Richmond Road. Fire crews got to the scene and found a Virginia Natural Gas contractor had ruptured a natural gas service line. The rupture released a large amount of natural gas into the air, which sent the smell of rotten eggs throughout the Toano business district.
Officials say the rupture made a loud noise.
Fire crews and police set up a perimeter while crews worked to repair the leak. The repairs were complete around 10:15 a.m. Officials surveyed the air quality and once it was determined safe, the road and businesses in the area reopened.
James City County officials tweeted just before 11 a.m. that Richmond Road was reopened.
No injuries were reported.
Stay with WAVY.com for the latest updates.