3-year-old spots Chesapeake house fire, alerts mom to call 911

CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) — A teenager was injured Tuesday morning after they jumped from a window to escape a house fire in Chesapeake.

Fire department Capt. Scott Saunders said crews were called to the fire house fire on Shell Road just before 9:30 a.m.

The fire was under control 13 minutes after crews arrived.

10 On Your Side learned the teen jumped from his bedroom window for fear that the fire would spread throughout the entire house. Family members say he broke his ankle and was taken to the hospital.

WAVY’s Laura Caso reports that a 3-year-old boy spotted the fire, told his mom about it and called 911.

Kenneth Hunter, 3, and his mother Sierra Morris jumped into action. They helped the teen jump from the window.

“I was just getting the kids out of the car and Kenneth said no mommy I see smoke and he pointed up the garage and he said call 911,” said Morris. “A teenager stuck his head out of the window and said I can’t breath and my family is asleep.”

“Our car was right there, we pulled up, we see the mailman come right here and then smoke was coming and then the firefighter [came],” said Hunter.

The teen’s mother said she was relieved and that her son was going to be OK.

A news release from the fire department stated that crews contained the fire to items stored in the garage.

The fire appeared to be accidental and electrical in-nature, officials said. No other injuries were reported, and the family of four was not displaced.

The family says they have three dogs, three cats and a pig — all of which were unharmed by the fire.

Stay with WAVY.com for the latest updates.