Malfunction causes smoke on school bus in Chesapeake

WAVY Viewer Photo

CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) — A malfunction caused smoke on a school bus Friday morning in the Albemarle Acres area of Chesapeake, fire officials say.

Capt. Scott Saunders with the Chesapeake Fire Department says there was a call for a bus fire around 7:30 a.m., but there was no fire found.

A viewer image of the scene showed the entrance to a neighborhood blocked off, with a fire crew on scene.

School officials confirmed the incident involved Bus #53 which was on its way to Butts Road Intermediate. The smoke came from a malfunction with the heat pump, according to spokeswoman Kellie Goral.

The children were immediately taken off the bus. Fire and paramedics responded and assessed the students and two students were taken to the hospital for further evaluation, Goral said.

Stay with WAVY.com for the latest updates.