VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — Crews battled a fire at a multi-family residential building in Virginia Beach Thursday morning.
Fire department officials tweeted around 11:30 a.m. that the fire, which was on Marsh Creek Court, was out.
The fire broke out at 10:45 a.m. Residents reported seeing smoke and flames coming through the roof and chimney of one of the units. The person who lived there was home and made it out safely.
Crews arrived and quickly knocked down the flames. They contained the damage mostly to the chimney and attic areas, but the resident will be temporarily displaced.
Winds were gusting during the response and the damage could have been much worse had it not been for the quick response, the fire department said.
The resident told investigators he was using the fireplace when the fire started. The fire has been ruled accidental.
VB Marsh Creek Court Fire
VB Marsh Creek Court Fire x
Stay with WAVY.com for the latest news, weather and traffic updates.