Christmas tree sparks house fire on Fox Grove Dr.

HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) — Hampton fire investigators say a house fire on Fox Grove Road was accidental; started by a live Christmas tree.

The fire broke out just before 2 a.m. in the 20 block of Fox Grove Drive. Fire and Rescue responded and reported heavy smoke coming from the back of the home. Crews went inside and were able to extinguish the fire in about 15 minutes.

No injuries were reported; the residents were not home.

The department’s Fire Prevention Branch investigated and determined a live Christmas tree sparked the fire.

The Hampton Division of Fire and Rescue provided the following safety tips regarding live trees:

• Choose a tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched.
• Before placing the tree in the stand, cut two inches from the base of the trunk.
• Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights. “Three feet from the heat”
• Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit.
• Be sure to water the tree daily.
• Use lights that UL tested and listed. Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use make sure you are using the correct ones.
• Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections.
• Never use lit candles to decorate the tree.
• Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving your home or going to bed.