VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — Police have arrested a third suspect in connection with six recent shootings, two of which resulted in fatalities.
19-year-old Maurice Boney Jr. was arrested and charged with murder, use of a firearm in the commission of a felony and conspiracy to commit a felony.
Detectives also arrested two juveniles on Dec. 10 after receiving anonymous tips about possible suspects in a series of recent shootings. Investigators say the tips led to the eventual arrest of two 17-year-olds.
The first suspect is facing charges including one count of first-degree murder, three counts of malicious wounding and four counts of use of a firearm. The second suspect is charged with two counts of first-degree murder and one count of use of a firearm in commission of a felony. Police say both suspects may face additional charges.
Both suspects are being held at Virginia Beach Juvenile Detention Center without bond.
Since the suspects are juveniles, police say their names will not be released.
The shooting incidents in question are:
- Nov. 29, 2016 on Skylark Drive
- Nov. 30, 2016 on Old Clubhouse Road
- Dec. 2, 2016 Homicide on Hawk Avenue
- Dec. 4, 2016 Homicide on Campion Court
- Dec. 7, 2016 Dunnbury Court
- Dec. 7, 2016 Old Clubhouse Road
Police say at this time, it doesn’t appear that that the suspects had a relationship with any of the victims. Authorities also said they have not received information to indicate that these crimes were part of any gang-related activity.
Police had at first linked the teens to a shooting on Dory Drive on Dec. 2, but later said that shooting is not connected to the suspects. Authorities are still investigating.
“I’m glad they caught them,” said Virginia Beach resident Mirtha Ruiz.
Ruiz says she’s lived in her home near Scarborough Square Park for 20 years.
“I came from New York to raise my kids over here. We’re retired military. We stayed here for a better life and now we see the crime here. It’s like seeing the same repeat of New York,” Ruiz said about the recent shootings.
Ruiz says she took preventative measures during the crime spree to protect her grandchildren.
“I have cameras in my house. I don’t let the kids be outside too much. I’m always watching them to make sure they’re okay. My concern is that someone’s going to be shooting and the ones that’s going to get hurt are the kids,” she said.
Doris Chery, who’s lived in the neighborhood for 10 years, says she was surprised to hear about the shooting on Dunnbury Court last week.She lives only a block away.
“Pretty much, it’s quiet. I’ve never had any problems on this side of the street,” Cherry said about the neighborhood.
Ruiz says now is the time for the community to work something out to make sure this does not happen again.
“If we all get together, we’ll stop it. Yes,” she said.
A double shooting on Dec. 7 left three people injured. Police said the shootings happened five minutes apart.
Police say they received two reports on Nov. 29 of homes being hit by bullets on Skylark Drive. No injuries were reported. The next day, police received reports of shots being fired in the 800 block of Old Clubhouse Road.
There were no injuries or property damage reported in the Old Clubhouse Road incident, but police say evidence was recovered from the scene.
The suspects are set to appear in court again on January 3.