House fire displaces 4 overnight in Newport News

(WAVY/Lavoy Harrell)

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — A family of four was displaced overnight in Newport News after their house caught fire.

Crews were called to the home on Pine Tree Court around 2:20 a.m. — and arrived five minutes later to find visible smoke and flames.

The family — two adults and two children — were able to escape the house after their fire alarm went off Friday morning. They were out of the house before crews arrived.

Fire officials say the fire was started by an electrical short in the house. The fire was under control around 2:40 a.m.

The family is being assisted by the Red Cross.