Faulty wire sparks fire at William & Mary Law School

college of william and mary

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (WAVY) — A fire at the William & Mary Marshall Wythe Law School prompted an evacuation of the building Wednesday morning.

William & Mary officials say emergency personnel responded to the scene and helped students and staff evacuate.

No injuries were reported.

Most of the law school reopened at 1:30 p.m. However, the north wing of the law school remains closed as crews clean up smoke and water damage.

Fire investigators determined the cause of the fire to be a faulty extension cord wire.

Stay with WAVY News 10 for updates.