PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) — Pastor Barry Randall, who ran for Portsmouth mayor, says he lost just about everything due to a fire at his home Tuesday.
Dispatchers received a call at 2:10 p.m. about a fire in the 500 block of Oak Street.
Portsmouth Fire Chief Jim Hoffler said it was an accidental kitchen fire caused by cooking. The flames didn’t extend to the main part of the house, according to Chief Hoffler, but caused slight damage to the area around the stove. The fire was extinguished in about 10 minutes. Hoffler said the resident wasn’t displaced.
Randall posted pictures and his account of the ordeal on Facebook. He says he breathed in smoke and went to the emergency room for a checkup.
Randall says he is staying in a hotel through Monday.