Family of 4 displaced in Chesapeake apartment fire

Chesapeake Fire Department generic

CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) — A family of four was displaced Wednesday after their South Norfolk apartment caught fire.

Officials say firefighters were called to the scene on Park Avenue around 6:50 a.m. Crews arrived six minutes later to find smoke and flames from the first floor of a two-story apartment building.

Firefighters prevented the fire from spreading beyond the first-floor unit. The fire was under control at 7 a.m.

Officials say the cause appeared to have been related to a malfunctioning kitchen stove.

The displaced residents have made area lodging arrangements.