Apartment fire in Portsmouth caused by furnace issue

PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) — A fire was reported Wednesday morning at an apartment complex in Portsmouth.

Dispatchers tell WAVY.com the fire was reported at 8:05 a.m. Portsmouth Fire Chief Mike Stockton says the fire was called in on Bird Lane at the Victory Gardens Apartments.

Crews arrived five minutes later, but did not see anything visible on scene. The fire was caused by a furnace issue.

Stockton says crews are checking smoke conditions. It is unclear if any residents will be displaced from the building.

Stay tuned for updates.