Discarded smoking material likely cause of fire in Norfolk

Norfolk fire department generic

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) – Fire and rescue crews responded to a residential structure fire in the 100 block of Effie Avenue Saturday morning.

According to fire officials, units were dispatched at 11:30 a.m.. Upon arrival, units found that the fire on the exterior of the structure. The was deemed until control at 11:48 a.m.

One occupant was inside the home at the time of the fire and escaped without injury.

Officials believe that the fire was caused by a discarded smoking material.

No one has been displaced or assisted by the Red Cross.