Elderly man, woman taken to hospital after house fire in Norfolk

Lavoy Harrell/WAVY
Lavoy Harrell/WAVY

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — Paramedics took one person to the hospital for smoke inhalation Wednesday morning after an overnight house fire.

At 2:50 a.m., crews responded to a home in the 700 block of East 27th Street in the Park Place neighborhood. They arrived on scene at 2:53 a.m. to find smoke showing from a two-story home. A fire was found in one of the upstairs bedrooms. Quick response kept the fire from spreading from the room where it started.

Firefighters had received word that there was an elderly person inside with very limited mobility. During a search of the home, crews found an elderly man. The man was rescued from the home and he, along with an elderly women, was taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

The home sustained some smoke damage and is uninhabitable. Four adults and three children were displaced. The Red Cross is helping the family.

The Fire Marshal ruled the fire to be accidental. It was caused by improper use of an extension cord.

This fire was one of three that broke out overnight in Hampton Roads.

A Virginia Beach home off of Windsor Gate Road was heavily damaged in a fire around 1:30 a.m. The homeowner, two family members and three dogs made it out safely.

A small electrical fire at Carrsville Elementary School caused cosmetic damage overnight Wednesday. School was cancelled for students and staff as a result.

Stay with WAVY News 10 for the latest updates.