Virginia Beach fire likely sparked by dryer

Photo courtesy: Virginia Beach Fire Department
Photo courtesy: Virginia Beach Fire Department

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) – Fire investigators say it’s likely a dryer sparked a house fire in Virginia Beach early Tuesday morning.

Crew responded to the 5000 block of Blackwater Road to find an active fire in the garage area of the house.

The damage to the garage was extensive, according to the fire department. There were no injuries reported.

Fire officials provided these tips to prevent dryer fires:

•Have your dryer installed and serviced by a professional.
•Do not use the dryer without a lint filter.
•Make sure you clean the lint filter before or after each load of laundry. Remove lint that has collected around the drum.
•Rigid or flexible metal venting material should be used to sustain proper air flow and drying time.
•Make sure the air exhaust vent pipe is not restricted and the outdoor vent flap will open when the dryer is operating. Once a year, or more often if you notice that it is taking longer than normal for your clothes to dry, clean lint out of the vent pipe or have a dryer lint removal service do it for you.
•Keep dryers in good working order. Gas dryers should be inspected by a professional to make sure that the gas line and connection are intact and free of leaks.
•Make sure the right plug and outlet are used and that the machine is connected properly.
•Follow the manufacturer’s operating instructions and don’t overload your dryer.
•Turn the dryer off if you leave home or when you go to bed.

Photo courtesy: Virginia Beach Fire Department
Photo courtesy: Virginia Beach Fire Department