Suffolk house fire sends woman to hospital, displaces 7

Photo: City of Suffolk
Photo: City of Suffolk

SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — A woman was sent to the hospital Monday evening after a house fire in downtown Suffolk.

Dispatchers received a call at 6:23 p.m. about a fire in the two-story single family home in the 200 block of Chestnut Street. Units arrived on scene at 6:26 p.m.

When fire crews arrived on scene, they saw fire coming from the back of the home and moving into the second story. Two people inside evacuated before firefighters got there.

The fire was marked under control at 6:48 p.m.

A woman was taken to Sentara Obici Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

The home had significant smoke and fire damage, especially to the kitchen area. Four adults and three juveniles have been displaced and are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

The Fire Marshal determined the fire was caused by unattended cooking.