Orchard burglarized for third time, tractors taken for joyride

HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) — Burglars vandalized a small business, according to police, helping themselves to personal property and taking tractors for a joyride.

William Wood, longtime owner at Wood’s Orchards, is hoping witness comes forward as he continues tallying his losses.

“They are low life people,” said Wood. “How am I, as a small businessperson, supposed to survive this kind of stuff? I can’t do it.”

Wood arrived to work around 7:30 a.m. Friday to find his office in disarray, two fire extinguishers unloaded, an ATV through a back fence, tractors driven through the mud,  trailers pushed around the property and urine on the store floor.

“I’m so fed up, I don’t know what to do,” he said.

Wood says the burglars somehow got into the business and found the keys to the tractors near the cash register. The yard in front of his business on East Mercury Boulevard was still rutted out Friday night.

“They came out here and did donuts with it until they wrecked it into the other tractor,” said Wood, who has owned and operated the orchard for more than 60 years. “When I came around and pulled up that driveway I looked at my place. It’s heartbreaking. You just can’t imagine to be violated like that.”

Thieves also ransacked the unlocked office, according to Wood.

The Hampton Police Division says its the third time the business has been burglarized in less than a month. Wood reported break-ins on Sept. 26 and 27.

Thieves ransacked the unlocked office all three times, according to Wood. He says the stolen items include three guns, two computers and two tablets. He estimates his losses at more than $20,000, as written on a police report to be filed with Hampton police.

“I wanted to put up a sign that says ‘for sale, get out of Hampton.'”

Wood says someone spotted a person in his brightly-lit business around 11 p.m. Thursday, but they didn’t call police. A neighbor reportedly heard a tractor running around 3 a.m. They didn’t call, either.

Police say there is no suspect information.

Wood says officers dusted the premises for fingerprints and took a half-eaten apple and two empty soda cans as evidence.