Hampton fire displaces 6 from apartments

(Photo: Hampton Division of Fire and Rescue)
(Photo: Hampton Division of Fire and Rescue)

HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) — Six people were displaced from two apartments after a fire Tuesday.

At 11:42 p.m., fire and rescue crews responded to a reported car fire in the 500 block of Marshall Street. When firefighters arrived on scene, they found that the incident was actually a residential fire and the call was upgraded. Units saw flames and heavy smoke coming from the side of the home. The fire was extinguished within about 30 minutes.

Luckily, everyone was out before crews got on scene. They were alerted to the fire by a working smoke alarm. No one was injured during the fire.

Two apartments had heavy fire, smoke and water damage throughout. Five adults and one teenager were displaced by the fire. They didn’t request assistance from the American Red Cross.

The accidental fire was caused by the careless disposal of bonfire ashes.