Governor revises North Carolina death toll down

Ryan Christian and Delores Miller canoe down West 5th Street after checking on Miller's elderly mother's home in downtown Lumberton after Hurricane Matthew caused downed trees, power outages and massive flooding along the Lumber River, Tuesday, Oct. 11, 2016 in Lumberton, NC. (Travis Long/The News & Observer via AP)

NEW BERN, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory has revised the death toll from Hurricane Matthew down slightly.

McCrory told reporters in New Bern today that one of the 26 deaths previously attributed to Matthew has been determined not to have been caused by the storm.

The governor did not say which death was not storm-related. Almost all the deaths blamed on the storm occurred in vehicles.

McCrory also said Interstate 95 has reopened. Several stretches of the road had been closed since Matthew hit the state.

The governor also said that the major rivers that have caused flooding problems in eastern North Carolina have peaked, though some flooding is still occurring.

McCrory says his top priority is to get people from shelters into temporary housing.

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.