Food & Nutrition Services offers replacement benefits for food lost during storm

Caitlyn Cain, left, and friend Sidney Daniels inspect flooding associated with Hurricane Matthew near Cain's old home, Wednesday, Oct. 12, 2016, in Greenville, N.C. (AP Photo/Brian Blanco)

NORTH CAROLINA (WAVY) — If you receive Food and Nutrition Services benefits in eastern North Carolina and lost food because of Hurricane Matthew, you can request replacement benefits.

Food and Nutrition Services recipients have until Tuesday, October 18 to request benefit replacements if they lost food because of the storm. Beneficiaries should call the Electronic Benefits Transfer Call Center at 1-866-719-0141. Callers should expect high call volumes.

Families must contact the call center or their local Department of Social Services to report the loss and qualify for replacements benefits.

Homeowners, renters and business owners in some North Carolina counties can request federal assistance for hurricane damage. Learn more at, by downloading the FEMA mobile app, or by calling  1-800-621-FEMA.

Federal assistance now available for Dare, Hyde, Gates counties