NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) – Fire & Rescue crews, along with Virginia Natural Gas, responded to a natural gas leak in the 3000 block of Verdun Avenue on Saturday afternoon.
The leak was secured as of 4 p.m., according to Norfolk Fire & Rescue. Battalion Chief Brian Nichols says that 11 homes were evacuated during the leak. He says the leak was construction related, caused by a cut in a three-inch gas line.
“We hear a really loud knock on the door and it’s just the fire station. They are calling us and they’re like ‘get out the house, get out the house,'” said Ederlis Nunez, who was one of the people who evacuated because of the leak.
Nichols told 10 on your side that crews had to dig in multiple spots before finding the leak.
“No one said anything, but they’ve been working out here. They’ve been having a little difficulty repairing the roads anyway. So we just thought it was one of those days,” said June McCord, who lives nearby.
McCord was one of many neighbors who said they smelled the gas all day long.
“The smell is so strong it will give you a headache. Then you have to go in and it’s still the same,” said neighbor Mario Valdez.
The 15 residents sheltered during the leak at Fire Station 11 returned home at around 4 o’clock this afternoon. It was a moment they shared with a sigh of relief.
“We stopped hearing the noise. It was like a really, really loud noise. It’s been going on for about six hours. As soon as we stopped hearing it, everybody stopped and looked at each other and was just like ‘is it okay? are we good to go?'” said Nunez.
No one living in the area was injured, but one firefighter was transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.