Got damage from Hurricane Matthew? Here’s some advice

VIRGINIA (WAVY) — The process of recovery has begun for individual people, cities and Virginia as a whole.

State and local governments are trying to coordinate damage assessments to determine whether or not the Commonwealth is eligible for federal disaster assistance.

If your home was damaged by the storm, there are several things you need to do.

When returning home:

  • Beware of structural damage before going back in your home.
  • Make sure you take the proper steps to clean up flood damage.
  • If you are given a clean-up kit and can’t use it to a disability or medical issue, contact your local government for help. There is a list of phone numbers to refer to below.
  • Throw away food that’s been in floodwaters or food that has spoiled from power loss.
  • Prevent mold and remove wet materials from your home immediately. Wet carpeting, furniture, bedding and any thing else that holds moisture or water can develop mold within 24 to 48 hours.

You can find more information here.

If you have flood or renter’s insurance:

  • File your flood insurance or renter’s insurance claim as soon as possible.
  • If you are renting, talk to your landlord to report flooding or damage. Landlords are only responsible for the building, not personal belongings.
  • Make sure to have your information ready when you call:
    • The name of your insurance company,
    • Your policy number,
    • A telephone number and/or email address where you can be reached.
  • Take photos and make a list of damaged property and items. Include age and value, if possible.

You do not need to wait for a Presidential (or federal) emergency declaration to the file a claim. This step is always your first step, even if you plan to apply for federal assistance, if it is available.

Get more information about the National Flood Insurance Program at or call 1-800-621-3362.

Flood losses not covered without specific flood insurance

Contact your local government to report damage. Regardless of whether or not your loss is covered by insurance, you still need to report damage to your local government.

Below is a list of local contact information to report damage:

  • Accomack: 757-787-3610
  • Chincoteague: 757-336-6519
  • Chesapeake: 757-382-2489

Chesapeake officials: Report home, business damage to the city right away

  • Franklin: 757-562-8680
  • Gloucester: 804-693-3000
  • Hampton: 757-727-8311
  • Isle of Wight: 757-365-6308
  • James City: 757-564-2140
  • Lancaster: 804-462-5129
  • Middlesex: 804-758-4715
  • Newport News: Local 311
  • Norfolk: 757-664-6510

Norfolk, Hampton and Suffolk residents: What to know post-Matthew

  • Northampton: 757-678-0442
  • Northumberland: 804-580-7666
  • Poquoson: 757-868-3000
  • Portsmouth: 757-393-8533 or go online
  • Southampton: 757-562-8680
  • Suffolk: 757-923-2350
  • Surry: 757-294-5264
  • Virginia Beach: 757-385-3111
  • Westmoreland: 804-493-0130
  • Williamsburg: 757-220-6220
  • York County: 757-890-3300

Virginia Beach residents urged to report storm damages