HAMPTON ROADS, Va. (WAVY) – Dominion Power’s in-house meteorologists are keeping a close eye on Hurricane Matthew and tracking how it might affect our customers.
The storm could bring high winds, heavy rain and falling trees, which could cause power outages. In addition, flooding could make restoration efforts more difficult. Crews and customers should focus on the following emergency preparations to ensure homes and families are safe.
Here’s what you can do to prepare:
- Pay close attention to the weather forecast.
- Put together an emergency kit containing flashlights, water, medicines, portable radios, extra batteries and non-perishable goods. For tips on how to assemble a kit, visit www.dom.com/stormpreparation.
- Bookmark Dominion’s real-time online outage map and use it to report and track outages. The site, www.dom.com/outages, is accessible on smart phones and tablets.
- Establish an online “Manage Your Account” with Dominion at http://www.dom.com/ and update it with your telephone number, including your cell phone number, to ensure accurate reporting of a power outage.
- Sign up to receive text messages from Dominion. Text DOM to 898366 from any mobile device.
- Stay in touch through Dominion’s Twitter feed at http://www.twitter.com/DomVAPower, and Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dominionvirginiapower. Both are good sources for information and updates throughout any storm event.
- Communicate with family and friends about emergency plans in the event of extended outages.
- Keep a full tank of gas in your car, get prescriptions filled, and make sure cell phones and other electronic devices are fully charged.