Norfolk 12-year-old charged with threatening other students

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) – Police have charged a 12-year-old Norview Middle School student with threatening to harm his classmates.

Detectives were called to the school around 9:20 a.m. Tuesday. When police arrived, school officials told them a student had written threats to hurt his classmates.

No one was injured. The student was charged with threats of death or bodily injury to someone on school property. He was taken to the Norfolk Juvenile Detention Center.

“It makes me scared,” said parent, Anthony Dale. “It makes me scared to send my kid back to school.”

Dale and Katie Haynes both have kids who got to Norview Middle School. They both got shocking calls Tuesday.

“His name was on a hit list,” Haynes said about her 13-year-old son.

That was the message from school administrators to these parents.

“There were seven names on this list,” Dale added. “My son was first on the list.”

Haynes was told students found the list and gave it to a teacher. Dale says his son was called down to the office and shown the alleged list.

“The list said ‘people to be killed,'” Dale said. “My son was then told that without his parents.”

Dale’s son hasn’t been back to school since. Neither has Haynes’ son.

“I’m an adult and if someone told me my name was on a hit list, I wold be terrified, so I can image the children being terrified,” Haynes added.

Officers say there is no indication that the student who was arrested was planning to carry out the threats, but that’s not comforting to parents.

“It really hurts me to the core to know that my child’s life was threatened,” Dale said.

Both parents question this hasn’t been a bigger story. They want to know why took a call to 10 On Your Side for everyone to be notified.

“In several different areas, the ball was dropped,” Dale added.

Norfolk Public Schools released this statement:

The safety and security of our students and staff is our top priority. Norview Middle School staff followed a threat assessment protocol and took the necessary steps to make sure all students and staff were safe and followed up appropriately with certain parents and students regarding the incident. The incident is currently under investigation by the Norfolk Police Department and Norfolk Public Schools.”

Stay tuned to for updates.