Family jumps from two story home to escape fire in Suffolk

SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) – Suffolk Fire-Rescue crews responded to a residential fire at Cypress Manor Apartments in the 20 block of Stacey Drive early Saturday morning.

The family, woken up by their smoke detector, was trapped on the second flood of their home. They couldn’t see down the stairs because of the smoke, but they knew they needed to get out.  So, they found the nearest exit: the window.

“My mom jumped first and she sent my older sister to throw the kids down. Then my other sister had to jump out of the window,” says Shakeria Wynn, who wasn’t home when the fire happened, but had spoken with her family members who were.

Dispatchers received the call at 2:40 a.m. and the first unit arrived on the scene three minutes later. Battalion Chief David Harrell when units arrived they found smoke showing from the two-story apartment complex and one occupant outside needing medical attention.

The fire was contained to the stove area and extinguished within 10 minutes of fire crews arrival. The residents of the home, 3 adults and 2 children, were provided emergency medical treatment by medics at the scene.

“As long as everybody’s okay, that’s all they were really worried about,” Wynn says.

Wynn’s mother was taken to Sentara Obici Hospital to be treated for minor injuries.  “The kids are okay.  My sister is okay.  My mom actually had to go to the hospital, but she just has a fractured arm and a fractured ankle,” says Wynn.

The family was displaced as a result of the smoke damage inside the home. The American Red Cross is providing assistance to the family.

“It was shocking, but I’m just relieved that everything is over with and all the kids are okay.  Everyone is good,” Wynn says.

The cause of the fire is determined to be unattended cooking.

Comments are closed.