Family of victim in deadly motorcycle crash speaks out

Family of victim in deadly motorcylce crash speaks out

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — The driver of a private medical ambulance has been charged in an accident that killed a 29-year-old man earlier this month.

The driver of the ambulance, 21-year-old Dylan Harrison of Williamsburg, has been charged with failure to yield right of way while entering a public highway from private property. He was issued a summons for the charge, according to Newport News Police.

Christopher McDonald, 29, was killed on Sept. 7 after he collided with an ambulance that was pulling out of a gas station off of Jefferson Avenue and Industrial Park Drive.

McDonald was driving a motorcycle north on Jefferson Avenue at the time of the crash.

McDonald’s family tells 10 On Your Side they don’t think Harrison’s summons fits the crime.

“I mean, I can go outside and get that ticket and go on about my life,” said McDonald’s sister, Christina. “It’s just a notch on your driving record. And right now, we’re waiting on my brother’s ashes to show up any second. It’s not right. The whole situation is not right.

“We shouldn’t have to be figuring out what’s our next move to make sure our niece is okay. We shouldn’t have to go clean out his house. We shouldn’t have to do any of this. He should be here with us,” she said.

McDonald’s family says everything he did in life was to better the life of his 19-month-old daughter. They say McDonald, who worked at the shipyard, would do anything for anyone.

“I remember one Christmas we went to 7-Eleven because we were missing one ingredient. There was a guy outside holding a sign, he didn’t have anything. Chris took everything out of his pocket and just gave it to him. He didn’t have to do that,” his sister recounted.

Now, they’ve set up a GoFundMe for his daughter.

The McDonald family tells WAVY.com they are also upset that no one from the ambulance company, including the driver, has reached out to them.

“I know he’s young. It’s probably haunting him. But I wish he would tell us to help us forgive him for what he’s done. He’s not saying nothing,” said McDonald’s father, James.

After we called LifeCare Medical Transport, an official named Wayne Gilbert said in a statement that Harrison will remain employed with the company. Gilbert’s full statement said:

Now that the police investigation into the crash has produced a summons, an internal investigation will proceed. While this investigation is underway, the employee will remain employed. The investigation at this point remains a personnel issue. Our thoughts continue to be with all those involved in this crash and their families.”

Comments are closed.