(WFLA) – Apple is going to push an update to nearly all iPhones this week. It’s called iOS 10, and is the tenth major revision to the iPhone and iPad operating system.
iOS 10 will be available as a free update for existing iPhones (iPhone 5 and newer) and iPads (iPad mini 2, iPad 4, iPad Air and newer).
Here are some of the changes you’ll notice with iOS 10:
- Slide to unlock is changing.
- Swiping right brings you to a revamped notifications screen.
- Swiping left gets to the camera app quickly.
- If you don’t use the TouchID fingerprint sensor, you’ll press the home button instead of swiping.
- Pick up the iPhone to wake it up. Notifications will be on the screen.
- View photos/videos or respond to messages in notifications.
- The message bubbles will look different.
- Send a message in your own handwriting. Recipients will see the message animate, as if you are writing. You will also be able to draw over videos.
- The “invisible ink” feature will allow you to send a message or photo that remains hidden. The recipient will swipe to reveal the message.
- Send messages like “Happy Birthday” with animations.
- Add stickers to messages. The add-on for that option will be available in the new App Store for iMessage.
- Tap words to replace with Emojis.
- More options in iMessage will allow you to share apps, and even make payments.
- Multilingual typing allows you to type in two languages at the same time without having to switch between keyboards.
- When you type in something like “I’m available at,” the free time in your calendar will pop up as an option.
Redesigned alarm clock
- It now comes in a dark theme.
- It’ll remind you when to go to bed.
- It will save every alarm you’ve ever set.
- Search photos by the people or things in them.
- Create movies out of your photos.
- Voice-activated assistant Siri will be able to control functionality of third party apps, including LinkedIn, WhatsApp, WeChat and Pinterest. For example, if you want to send a message to a contact via LinkedIn, Siri will now allow you to dictate and shall proceed to send it.
- Maps will make more suggestions on where you’re likely to go, and the fastest way to get there.
- Search function will find the closest places for gas, food, or coffee, and will calculate the extra time it will add on to your route.
- Find available parking spaces.
- Book a restaurant reservation or request a car while in the maps app.
- Addition of a “Home app, which will let you turn on your lights, unlock doors, etc before you arrive.
- The look will be updated.
- View lyrics while songs are playing.