The women’s 50m freestyle semifinals were delayed because a bus from the Athletes’ Village went to the track and field venue instead of the pool. Event organizers sidestepped the timeline problem by moving the medal ceremonies and pushing the semifinals to the last spot on the agenda on Friday night.
Despite the hiccup, Pernille Blume of Denmark – raced to 24.28 seconds to lead the pack entering Saturday’s final. She also was in first place coming out of the afternoon preliminary heats.
Joining Blume in the final are Australian sprinting sisters Cate and Bronte Campbell, who advanced in second and fifth place, respectively.
Newly-minted 100m freestyle co-gold medalist Simone Manuel advanced into the final with her time of 24.44 seconds. Fellow American teammate Abbey Weitzeil finished in 12th at 24.67, missing the eight-woman final.
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)