3-year-old severely burned by boiling water in Newport News

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — A three-year-old suffered severe burns after boiling water fell onto him Friday.

Emergency dispatchers received a call at about 5:19 p.m. about a child burned in the 100 block of Hawthorne Drive.

Officer Brandon Maynard with Newport News Police says the child went into the kitchen, where his mother was boiling water on the stove. The mother stepped out of the kitchen and when she left, the child managed to get a hold of the boiling pot and spilled it onto himself.

The child suffered severe burns to his body.

A Nightingale helicopter was called to have the child taken to the hospital, but was canceled. The child was taken to the hospital by paramedics.

Police are still investigating.

Stay with WAVY.com for updates to this developing story.

Comments are closed.