Police issue citations for trespassing at Portsmouth Walmart

The store was closed Sunday for security concerns.

PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) — Police issued citations for trespassing at the Walmart on Frederick Boulevard on Monday night.

Walmart officials said “certain individuals” were cited for criminal trespassing. The store released a statement Monday following two days of protests outside the store, which read:

We understand the recent criminal trial has had a significant emotional impact on our community. However, continued activities on our property are jeopardizing daily business. We’ve asked organizers to leave the property, and they’ve refused.

Law enforcement has issued criminal trespass citations to certain individuals.”

The store was closed temporarily Sunday due to what store officials called “security concerns.” It reopened at its regular time at 7 a.m. Monday.

Walmart released the following statement Sunday:

Given the heightened emotions in the community, we have closed our store temporarily because of security concerns. We apologize for any inconvenience, but our first responsibility is always the safety of our customers and associates. We hope the store will re-open quickly.”

10 On Your Side’s Kara Dixon spoke with a person with the Coalition for Black Americans at the scene Sunday, who said he and a few others attempted to enter the store to buy water.

As they approached the store, Walmart officials meet them at the door and would not let in the group. Officials then closed the store.

The Walmart is the site where former Portsmouth police officer Stephen Rankin shot and killed William Chapman II in April of 2015.

Special Coverage: Stephen Rankin Trial

The same group came into the store for a protest in honor of Chapman back in July. The group was also met with resistance at the door, but then were eventually allowed in the store.

The group says they will stay at the Walmart until they are allowed into the store.

Rankin was found guilty of voluntary manslaughter last week, and the jury recommended a sentence of two-and-a-half years.

Stay on WAVY.com for developments in this story.

Comments are closed.