CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) – Firefighters battled a house fire after a lightning strike hit the attic in the 900 block of Riddlehurst Avenue, Sunday morning.
Emergency dispatchers received the call at 9:14 a.m. Crews arrived on scene six minutes later. Captain Lawrence Matthews says lightning struck the top of the house causing a fire to spark in the attic. The fire was contained to the attic area.
Firefighters extinguished the fire just before 9:30 a.m.
The owners of the house, Bo and Kay, who did not want to use their last name, were home at the time.
“We heard a great big boom. Our alarms went off in our house, the fire alarms. I ran outside and saw the white timber wood and knew we were in trouble,” says Bo.
The family has lived in the home for 14 years and said they never expected anything like this to happen.
“When it hit the house, we were in the other room. It wasn’t as loud as I expected it to be. That’s why I didn’t think it was our house,” Kay said.
Their house was the second home to be struck by lightning in Hampton Roads over the weekend. On Saturday, lightning started a house fire in the 4600 block of Victoria Boulevard of Hampton That fire displaced one resident and and six animals.
Bo and Kay are also displaced because of the fire at their home in Chesapeake.
“It blew the trim off the house, all the way into the street,” Bo said.
No one was injured and everyone inside made it out safely. The family is thanking the quick response from firefighters to keeping the damage to a minimum.
“They had the hoses out when they were still coming down the road,” Bo joked.
The family said they were uncertain about where they will stay for the night, but they’re thankful everyone is okay.