Virginia Beach crews respond to two fires sparked by careless smoking

Photo courtesy Virginia Beach Fire Department

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — The Virginia Beach Fire Department extinguished two fires Tuesday that officials believe were sparked by careless smoking.

A man was severely burned in his apartment, located in the 2300 block of Windway Lane, when a lit cigarette ignited oxygen he was using for medical reasons. There was no explosion, but the victim suffered burns from a flash-ignition. He was taken to the hospital with possibly life-threatening injuries.

Officials believe a discarded cigarette started another fire in a mulch bed outside a multi-family residence in the 5700 block of Trellis Arch. Firefighters responded quickly, which kept the fire from spreading and limited damage to the outside of the residence. No one was injured in this fire.

The fire department wants to remind people to discard smoking materials properly and be sure that cigarette butts are completely out. Also, never smoke if you or someone around is using an oxygen system.

Comments are closed.