Welder’s spark causes early morning fire

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY)- Norfolk Fire Rescue units, assisted by an engine company in Chesapeake, responded to a commercial structure fire in the 2000 block of Springfield Avenue at 8:38 a.m. Saturday morning.

Battalion Chief Bill Tull told WAVY.com, 29 firefighters performed an extensive overhaul and salvage to the building after arriving on scene.The fire was located inside a wall between two vertical columns on the rear of the structure. After opening the wall to expose any hidden fire, firefighters were able to contain the fire to one section of the wall where a buildup of trash and debris were found.

Battalion Chief Tull said workers on scene were performing welding at the facility and a spark from the process was determined to be the cause of the fire.

There were no injuries reported.

Comments are closed.