Police: Taser doesn’t stop man from throwing tongs at cars

Ryan Matthew Larson, 29, shown in a jail booking photo.

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) – A dramatic scene unfolded inside a local fast food restaurant after a man, acting erratically, charged a police officer and fled on foot.

Ryan Matthew Larson is being held in the Multnomah County Detention Center on charges of recklessly endangering, resisting arrest, attempted fourth-degree assault, second-degree criminal trespass, second-degree disorderly conduct, and interfering with police.

He was arrested on Saturday after officers responded to reports of a disturbance in Southeast Portland.

According to court documents officers first dispatched on reports of an unwanted subject in the 700 block of Southeast 122nd Avenue. As police were headed to the scene, they got updates that the subject, later identified as Larson, had left the original business. Police got to the fast food restaurant in the 400 block of Southeast 122nd Avenue and found a chaotic scene inside.

Larson was inside in a scuffle with an employee. Police ordered the employee to evacuate. At that time, Larson started to charge forward toward the officer. The officer reported that she was concerned for her safety and the safety of the youth girls sports team in the dining room, according to court documents.

The officer deployed her Taser at Larson, but that he removed the probes and started to walk away. The officer began to follow him. Her decision, records show, was made because he was headed to the area of Ventura Park Elementary School.

As Larson walked away, he reportedly threw tongs from the restaurant at passing cars.

Eventually, he went into a nearby gardening store, where he was an employee. Workers at the store told police that it appeared Larson was under the influence of an intoxicant. Officers had to use a Taser on him again after he tried to start a gas-powered hedge trimmer.

Several officers attempted to take him into custody.

Larson appeared in court on Monday.

Comments are closed.