HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) – Firefighters responded to an apartment fire in the 200 block of Clemwood Parkway, Friday afternoon.
Dispatch confirmed that the emergency call came in at 2:48 p.m. The fire came in as an apartment fire with heavy smoke and fire showing.
The first unit on scene reported fire on a second story apartment. The crew began attacking the flames from the outside and moved inside to finish putting the fire out. The fire extinguished in about 10 minutes.
No one was injured.
The resident was not home but three cats and a dog were recovered from the apartment. The cats were killed and the dog was taken to a local veterinary by Animal Control.
Officials say the fire appears to be accident due to a candle burning on the balcony.
Stay on WAVY.com for developments in this story.