Home destroyed, dog killed in Norfolk house fire

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — A home was destroyed due to a fire in Norfolk Thursday afternoon.

Norfolk Fire and Rescue crews were dispatched to a residential structure fire in the 900 block of Oakwood Street around 1:21 p.m. on Thursday. The first unit arrived on scene at 1:24 p.m. and found visible smoke and flames coming from a two-story home.

Firefighters forced entry into the home through the front door. Upon entering, they found heavy smoke. Crews found the fire inside the living room area and began efforts to extinguish it. Meanwhile, a primary search of the home was done.

The occupants were not at home at the time the fire started, officials say. Firefighters rescued a dog from the home, but the animal did not survive.

The fire was marked under control at 1:36 p.m.

No one was injured due to the fire.

Though the fire was contained to the living room area, smoke spread throughout the home. Due to smoke and fire damage, officials said the home is uninhabitable.

The occupant of the home did not request assistance from the Red Cross.

The cause of the fire was due to an extension cord and was ruled accidental.

Comments are closed.