HAMPTON ROADS, Va. (WAVY) – Amtrak has extended and expanded its pets program, allowing customers to continue traveling with their small cats and dogs into area stops.
The program is now available on Northeast Regional trains that serve Richmond, Newport News, and Norfolk.
Customers must be aware of the guidelines before booking their next trip with a pet:
- Passengers must book their ticket by calling 1-800-USA-RAIL or at a staffed station.
- The fee is $25 to travel with furry friends.
- Only one small cat or dog and one carrier per passenger.
- Pets in carriers must weigh 20 pounds or less.
- Pets must be placed under a passenger’s seat at all time during trip.
- Trips with pets may not exceed seven hours in length.
Other trains that are included into the pets program include; the Silver Star and Silver Meteor that travels daily between New York City and Miami, with a stop in Richmond. The Palmetto which travels daily between New York City and Savannah, Ga., with a stop in Richmond.
Also the Crescent that travels daily between New York City and New Orleans and includes stops in Lynchburg and Charlottesville.