Hampton mother says pharmacy mixed up family’s prescriptions

HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) – A Hampton mother is fired up after a pharmacy apparently mixed up her family’s prescriptions.

Amanda McCoy told 10 On Your Side that her 5-year-old son’s name was listed on a steroid medication reportedly meant for her.

“I thought I killed my kid,” she said.

Amanda and son, Shaun, were both sick last Tuesday and went to the M.D. Express Urgent Care on West Mercury Boulevard in Hampton. Shaun was treated for pink eye and given a prescription for eye drops. Amanda was reportedly treated for bronchitis and provided with multiple prescriptions, including 10 mg prednisone tablets.

Amanda took the prescriptions to the Rite Aid on East Pembroke Avenue, which issued the bottle of prednisone with Shaun’s name on it. Without realizing the apparent error, Amanda proceeded to give him two tablets.

“And then it clicked… normally they don’t give 5-year-olds pills, they give them liquid… and then we panicked, we were like, ‘oh my God, we just gave our kid the wrong medicine because it had his name on the bottle and it wasn’t even prescribed to him.'”

“You trust a pharmacist with your health, with your life,” said husband Shane McCoy. “It’s not right.”

Amanda quickly phoned her doctor, who reportedly instructed the family to carefully watch Shaun. The little boy is OK.

“That’s all that really counts to me,” Amanda said.

Still, she wants to warn other parents about what happened.

“This could happen to their kids too, I mean what happens if it was somebody’s heart medication or something that your kids were allergic to?” she said. “That could kill somebody’s child.”

10 On Your Side reached out to Rite Aid for comment. Spokeswoman Ashley Flower issued the following statement:

Patient and customer safety is a top priority at Rite Aid. We take all customer matters, including this one very seriously. We have a strong commitment to safety with attention to appropriate education and training for pharmacy associates. As soon as we became aware of this incident, we immediately reached out to the customer and began an investigation, which is still underway, and will take appropriate actions based upon our findings, including retraining our pharmacy team on our quality assurance procedures.

Amanda told 10 On Your Side that she spoke with employees and a regional manager but she says no one reached out to her.

Comments are closed.