Family of 5 displaced after fire destroyed Newport News home

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) – Emergency fire crews battled a massive house fire in the 300 block of Jonathan Court in the Denbigh section of the city, Saturday evening.

Dispatch was called about the fire at 8:34 p.m. and crews arrived about five minutes later.

When firefighters arrived on scene, they found heavy flames coming from the garage, the second floor, and the attic of the two-story home. Neighbors reported that flames were approximately fifty feet tall above the house, according to Newport News Fire Chief Pincus.

Extra fire crews were called to the scene to battle not only the flames, but also the high winds and the freezing temperatures. The family of five were able to escape without any injuries but several family pets did not make it out of the fire.

Almost thirty minutes later, the fire was called under control at 9:04 p.m.

Newport News Fire Chief Pincus says the cause of the fire is pronounced accidental due to a thrown away cigarette which caught some leaves on fire. As a result of the high winds, the fire spread to the home.

The home was condemned and the family of five are displaced. Red Cross is assisting the family with housing arrangements.

Stay tuned to WAVY.com for developments.

Comments are closed.