State Police search for suspect who ran during traffic stop

HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) – Two Peninsula college campuses were placed on lockdown Thursday as Virginia State Police conducted an investigation nearby.

State Police stopped a vehicle on westbound I-64, east of the 255 mile marker around noon for reckless driving by speed, according to Sgt. Michelle Anaya. During the stop, she said the back seat passenger jumped out of the vehicle and ran across the interstate. Police are actively looking for that person. They say he has active felony warrants on file. His name has not yet been released.

The driver of the vehicle, 19-year-old Janelle Quicho, of Newport News, remained on scene and was charged with reckless driving by speed and several other motor vehicle violations. Another passenger, 21-year-old Dehjan Williams, of Newport News, also remained on scene and was charged with possession of marijuana.

Chopper 10 flew over the area and spotted police with dogs searching a neighborhood about a half mile north of Thomas Nelson Community College in Hampton.

TNCC issued an alert just after noon Thursday that read “The Hampton Campus has been ordered to shelter in place. Move to the nearest safe location immediately.” Cecilia Ramirez with TNCC Public Relations told campus police made the decision to issue a “shelter in place” alert as a safety precaution. The lockdown was lifted at 2 p.m.

Students told 10 On Your Side that it was an alarming couple of hours.

“I think it’s so crazy because we were in there for like two plus hours, in there doing nothing, I mean for the longest time it was so tense, it was so quiet, you couldn’t say anything,” said Tyler Nelson, a student at TNCC.

“I came on campus and I saw a state trooper bringing out a big gun, and I thought something was gonna happen at Thomas Nelson,” said student Justin Gatling. “Then I got on campus, I got a text alert saying that we had to go to a shelter.”

Old Dominion University’s Peninsula Center off McGruder Boulevard issued a safety alert at 1:30 p.m. The alert indicated that police were searching for a suspect involved in an off-campus shooting incident, however Hampton police said that a shooting investigation was not part of the immediate search.

ODU’s lockdown was lifted at 2:15 p.m.

Stay with WAVY for updates.

Comments are closed.