NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) – A stray cat collected in the 3800 block of Krick Street has tested positive for rabies.
The cat has been described as an adult domestic short hair, black in color. Several possible human exposures to this cat have been reported, which the Norfolk Health Department is actively investigating.
If you have recently been bitten or scratched by a cat matching this physical description, please contact the Norfolk Health Department at 757-683-2712. Area residents are also reminded to keep pets up-to-date on their vaccinations.
The following precautions are recommended to reduce risk of rabies exposure:
– Be sure dogs and cats are up-to-date on vaccinations.
– Keep pets confined to home and yard.
– Keep yards free of food that could attract wild animals.
– Warn adults and children to report any animal bites or scratches.
– Report stray or unvaccinated animals to Animal Control at 757-664-7387.
– Report all animal or human exposures to the Norfolk Health Department at 757-683-2712.
For further information, please contact the Environmental Health Division of the Norfolk Department of Public Health at 757-683-2712.